Neglected bike. It worth saving or just a parts bike?
Close

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: Neglected bike. It worth saving or just a parts bike?

Neglected bike. It worth saving or just a parts bike?

Hello, I am going to give as much detail as I can from my memory and see what you guys think. Then hopefully in next few days I can gather more info if there are any particular things anyone would like to know to make a decision.

So I have a 78 CX500. It is actually the bike I learned to ride on and was running good. One day I went to ride and the carbs were leaking gas from the tube connecting them. This triggered a sad series of events leading to it's current state. I obviously needed to fix this issue with the carbs and so it got taken apart and the carbs pulled off. It stayed like that for some time with seat and gas tank off and carbs removed. The bad part is that for I think about a year it ended up in the weather. I finally did get the carbs fixed and placed back on the bike and then the first thing I found was that I could no longer pull in the clutch handle. After this the bike did get stored under a shelter and there it has sat for several more years.

I now find myself wondering how bad it would be to bring this thing back to life. I came here hopeful someone would have general idea what I am getting into as I know a lot of you guys have worked on "barn bikes" in the past. So where should I start to figure out if this is something I can recover or have I made a parts bike because of my being stupid?
    paulandmandy6 likes this.
    82 CX500 Turbo

Hi, first, welcome to the forum! There are a couple of things I would assess firstoff. You don't have to have the clutch engage to try the first one, put the bike in the highest gear and see if you can make the engine turn over. If you can, then all is not lost, if you can't you still might be okay, but first try to determine if the motor will turn over. Second, try spraying WD-40 down the clutch cable from each side "business end" and working the cable, see if you can free it up. If you can, post and let the group know! Best of luck!
    paulandmandy6 likes this.

*edit for missing the model*
    Last edited by ramprat06; 04-16-2017 at 01:50 PM.
    May the myriad of wheels in your head, keep the two wheels between your legs rubber side down.

Age 61
    No more stable, no more ride for me.

G-Loria's Story I miss her dearly, but she is in good hands.

Forum Settings that everyone should make

Photo and Video posting Tips

The WIKI link for all the good tech stuff. including free FSM's
    with addendums

Larry's most excellent CX/GL Carb book link

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

To confirm, you are not talking about the Turbo you list in your signature?

It's actually a bit easier to turn the motor over using the front crankshaft bolt (17mm). It's under the 17mm cap on the front of the motor between the clutch housing and the oil filter. Take the spark plugs out, it makes it easier to rotate the crankshaft clockwise (looking towards the rear from the front.).
    If it sat out in the weather uncovered, were the open ports to the engine intakes plugged with a rag or anything? If not, who knows what kind of muck might be inside the engine. Same for the air box.

After you have determined the engine is not locked up, then we can start on next steps.
    May the myriad of wheels in your head, keep the two wheels between your legs rubber side down.

Age 61

with addendums

If to doesn't turn very easy(it won't).

clean out the drains for the plug wells.

get any water & debris out(if any)

shoot a little PB blaster in there

remove the plugs,,,,,, if they are seized let

them sit overnight(or longer) don't just wrench them out

gently will save the threads

after they're out shoot a bunch of PB in there

I also shoot it in all ports (optional)

put the bike out in the sun let it bake

a couple days

remember it didn't get this way in 1 day

turn the front bolt rightie tightey not

leftie lucie.

don't over torque or it will snap off.

do as mh says rock forward and back

if no move let it sit in sun few more days.

change the plugs oil adjust valves & timing chain.

I have done this to a cx and it runs perfect

It might take a few hundred mi. to loosen

everything up .

to a few old cars only 1 un-slavagable engine

in about 50 yrs.(+1 needed a complete redo).
    nolimitz likes this.
    SideCar Bob's great thread on settings. http://cx500forum.com/forum/general-...ould-make.html
    Main Wiki you can search by topic: http://cx500forum.com/mediawiki/inde...itle=Main_Page
    Just an Old Rant not very Important: http://cx500forum.com/forum/general-...me-advice.html
    St

StatorTest;;
    http://cx500forum.com/mediawiki/inde...itle=Main_Page

'Eager" 1979 CX500C Maroon.
    Name is derived from the sound of this engine at highway speeds.
    Like its eager to go.
    had a Horse that was "Eager"
    But didn't sound the same.
    So I called him "Duke"

OCR
    To determine if ti is just the cable or an actual clutch issue, use a set of pliers to grip the clutch actuator on the front of the engine and see if it does move.
    purplecx500 likes this.
    Past Master, Dryden Lodge #472
    Caroline Lodge # 681
    RAM Fidelity # 77

'79CX500C

http://www.cx500forum.com/mediawiki

we are all given sh*t in life, but some of us learn to turn it into fertilizer and grow from it, and some us try to fling it on others like monkeys.

Quote Originally Posted by ramprat06 View Post
    To confirm, you are not talking about the Turbo you list in your signature?

It's actually a bit easier to turn the motor over using the front crankshaft bolt (17mm). It's under the 17mm cap on the front of the motor between the clutch housing and the oil filter. Take the spark plugs out, it makes it easier to rotate the crankshaft clockwise (looking towards the rear from the front.).
    If it sat out in the weather uncovered, were the open ports to the engine intakes plugged with a rag or anything? If not, who knows what kind of muck might be inside the engine. Same for the air box.

After you have determined the engine is not locked up, then we can start on next steps.

Yeah, this is not talking about the 82 Turbo. That one is actually sitting under a shelter in good shape, it cranks and runs, I just need to replace the fuel pump that sometimes sticks and the pb sensor.

The one that got really neglected was a 78 CX500. I will hopefully be able to pull it out and check on these suggestions tomorrow. I am kind of suspecting it is worth reviving, it was exposed to the weather, but not fully, we did always keep tarp or plastic over it when it was apart. So hopefully once I pull it out and look closer it will just need a lot of TLC. I am kind of hopeful that proper TLC could make this a daily rider and then I can make plans for fully restoring the Turbo.
    paulandmandy6 and ramprat06 like this.
    82 CX500 Turbo

The CX i have on the road now went through a similar/exact scenario that yours has just endured, the clutch cable snapped on it back in 85 and it sat at the back of the garden shed with just a polythene sheet over it for protection for 5 years waiting for the owner to buy a cable, in the meantime the owner decided he was going to customise the bike so started to strip it down he lost heart and it stood in all weathers for the next 10-12 years till i bought it for £100. I did all what has been advised in the posts here and admittedly had to free the piston rings, although the pistons moved up and down the compression was poor, whilst i cured the seized rings i stripped and rebuilt the rest of the engine which in fairness was as good as anything else i have worked on, i did as a matter of course replace the mechanical seal and the carbs required cleaning but otherwise it runs as sweet as anything i have had before. I ride it now, it has 36,000 miles on the clock and rides as smooth as silk. good luck, it is worth saving
    purplecx500 likes this.
    1982 CX500 custom

1979 half dismantled engine

1981 dismantled engine

Well, I was able to take a short look at it today and the good news is that I am feeling much more confident that I can bring it back to life. I managed to shift it up into 5th gear and then with it on the center stand I could turn the wheel and turn the engine over. Wasn't very easy, but then again turning the wheel by hand I would have been worried if it was easy. Wasn't able to do much to check the clutch issue due to it being a bit buried in the back of a shelter currently, but I am feeling good about it and have plans to breath some life back into it. I am including some pictures of the poor thing for those interested in seeing the mess I am starting with. If I remember to do it I think I will start a new thread somewhere and catalogue the process of turning it back into a street ready bike.

Name:  IMG_20170417_174528.jpg
Views: 81
Size:  1.40 MB
    Name:  IMG_20170417_174522.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  1.42 MB
    purplecx500 and paulandmandy6 like this.
    82 CX500 Turbo

It's rough, but I think most of it should clean up fine. I was surprised to see both the side covers! Hell, those might bring what the bike cost if you found later that nothing worked. The tank seems straight from the one side, although there might be some rust on the bottom rear frame hump area. How is the inside of the tank?

Age 61

with addendums

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links