Do not waste your time re-building honda front-brake master cylinders,,,
Close

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Wekadog
  • 1 Post By CXPHREAK
  • 1 Post By ramprat06
  • 2 Post By purplecx500

Thread: Do not waste your time re-building honda front-brake master cylinders,,,

Do not waste your time re-building honda front-brake master cylinders,,,

Chinese repop on ebay 4 15$, less than a kit and work perfectly- lever and lite switch included,,,,,
    CX650C- mostly stock re-paint, pix and avatar later,,, no hints please, I gotta figure it out,,,

Quote Originally Posted by obo515 View Post
    Chinese repop on ebay 4 15$, less than a kit and work perfectly- lever and lite switch included,,,,,
    There has been some discussion of this on this forum before. If I recall correctly, there are quality concerns about the Chinese knock-off. More to the point, the group consensus is that the CX500 needs a master cylinder with a 14mm bore to handle the dual front calipers, whereas the low price ones on eBay are all 12.5mm.

It sounds like you've installed the eBay one on your bike? Which master cylinder is it? How much lever travel do you have left after the brakes lock up?
    obo515 likes this.
    '82 GL500

Not sure what Obo has but I've been using the Chinese master cylinder for 8 years now. One failed after several years but it was actually only a fault with the sight glass. Replaced with another and still working. I have one on my other CX for the last year or two too.

We have twin discs here and I use the 15.8 mm variety but 14 mm is available too.

I've seen those pitbike cylinders with the remote reservoir at 11 mm - 12.5 mm and really couldn't recommend anyone use those. Bore size aside, the quality of those things is comical.
    obo515 likes this.
    Rebuilding Handlebar Switches

Rider 81 500C, Thingy Born a 78Z. Ozdeluxe born an 80 shadow.

GET A MULTIMETER RTFM I am a CX500. If you maintain me I will run forever.

http://cx500forum.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

The WIKI link for all the good tech stuff. including free FSM's with addendums

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

Hav only placed in service with single-disc systems,,,,, understand your concern for dual. Really worked fine for me, ramprats defect noted,,, quality control is a concern also, 2 much pressure on workers to produce a totally consistent product= ebay guarantee always in effect. Must hav gr8 brakes front and rear- i rode a pan-head chopper 1 time only with no front brake, foot clutch and Bud tap handle shift lever behind my left butt-cheek,,,,, so fun but totally unsafe! Thanx for your input friends
    CX650C- mostly stock re-paint, pix and avatar later,,, no hints please, I gotta figure it out,,,

The units i got are listed as yamaha replacement (no link from me!- look identical to honda items- not the mini-bike type. i have honed and rebuilt many honda units- filthy job! the current POS wrecked the paint, sux shit, and is gettin' melted and re-formed. U guyz rok!

OK= seller on the "bay" wwwmwa= allgud

Quote Originally Posted by obo515 View Post
    Hav only placed in service with single-disc systems,,,,, understand your concern for dual. Really worked fine for me, ramprats defect noted,,,
    Pardon me?? To which defect of mine do you cite?
    obo515 likes this.
    G-Loria's Story including Part III > I miss her dearly, but she is in good hands. Part III included at the end of the link.

Forum Settings that everyone should make

Photo and Video posting Tips

The WIKI link for all the good tech stuff. including free FSM's
    with addendums

Larry's most excellent CX/GL Carb book link

TAPATALK USERS--
    Please go into the Tapatalk app's settings and turn off the "auto signature" feature. Thank You.

Brakes- who needs em? u ever watch the Flintstones? just drag your heelz on the pavement to slo down,,,,,

and rear- i rode a pan-head chopper 1 time only with no front brake, foot clutch and Bud tap handle shift lever behind my left butt-cheek,,,,, so fun but totally unsafe!
    Only 1 time,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,sissy.

And you put in your lips but Didn't inhale.

L.S.D. du du du don't cause Da da dain bu bramage.

PieceOut !!
    obo515 and OCR like this.
    SideCar Bob's settings. http://cx500forum.com/forum/general-...ould-make.html
    Main Wiki you can search by topic: http://cx500forum.com/mediawiki/inde...itle=Main_Page
    Old rant http://cx500forum.com/forum/general-...me-advice.html
    St
    StatorTest;;
    http://cx500forum.com/mediawiki/inde...itle=Main_Page
    'Eager" 1979 CX500C Maroon.
    Named for the way it runs/sounds @ 65 +

Sponsored Links