Clattering noise -- can't tell if it's cam chain, radiator fan, or something else - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Clattering noise -- can't tell if it's cam chain, radiator fan, or something else

And a steep learning curve if you

plan to make that trip.
    nolimitz likes this.
    SideCar Bob's settings. http://cx500forum.com/forum/general-...ould-make.html
    Main Wiki you can search by topic: http://cx500forum.com/mediawiki/inde...itle=Main_Page
    Old rant http://cx500forum.com/forum/general-...me-advice.html
    St
    StatorTest;;
    http://cx500forum.com/mediawiki/inde...itle=Main_Page
    'Eager" 1979 CX500C Maroon.
    Named for the way it runs/sounds @ 65 +

The primary reason these bikes end up in a pile in the corner of some dank dungeon is for this single fact alone......timely and regular maintenance is not done.

Oil change is the dumb one that everyone understands because it's easy and common. But just as easy and should be common is the timing chain adjustment when doing a valve lash adjustment. All 3 of those should be done at the same time, it is easy and non-invasive (unless you call taking off the valve covers invasive....) Those alone can keep this venerable motor running forever (anecdotally).

Too many people in the late 70's and mid 80's bought these bikes as toys, for the most part. Play with toy until it breaks, throw it in the corner. Enter today's era, and we are digging out those closets to find that only one or two simple to fix pieces were wrong with toy......and here we are.
    CXPHREAK likes this.
    May the myriad of wheels in your head, keep the two wheels between your legs rubber side down.

Age 62
    No more stable, no more ride for me.

Gloria's Story including PartII> I miss her dearly, but she is in good hands. Part III included at the end of the link.

Forum Settings that everyone should make

Photo and Video posting Tips

The WIKI link for all the good tech stuff. including free FSM's
    with addendums

Larry's most excellent CX/GL Carb book link

So true Ramprat, I just bought a 86' Yamaha Radian with 1,720 miles on it. Tank is rusted to nothing and the seat is pristine. Amazes me how people buy stuff and never use it.
    1981 CX 500 Deluxe
    1986 Yamaha Radian YX600
    Martha'a Vineyard, Ma

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by purplecx500 View Post
    And a steep learning curve if you

plan to make that trip.
    I sure plan to make it...so I guess I have a lot of wrenching in my future. The trip is supposed to start July 15th.

Quote Originally Posted by ramprat06 View Post
    The primary reason these bikes end up in a pile in the corner of some dank dungeon is for this single fact alone......timely and regular maintenance is not done.

Oil change is the dumb one that everyone understands because it's easy and common. But just as easy and should be common is the timing chain adjustment when doing a valve lash adjustment. All 3 of those should be done at the same time, it is easy and non-invasive (unless you call taking off the valve covers invasive....) Those alone can keep this venerable motor running forever (anecdotally).

Too many people in the late 70's and mid 80's bought these bikes as toys, for the most part. Play with toy until it breaks, throw it in the corner. Enter today's era, and we are digging out those closets to find that only one or two simple to fix pieces were wrong with toy......and here we are.
    I sure hope it's just one or two simple pieces...that would be great. I don't really understand the "use it till it breaks, and then throw it away" mentality...Like, you paid for it! You might as well get your money's worth.
    '79 CX500 Standard

Your moneys worth out of one of these {though they didn't know it when new} would have been 50 years or 300,000 miles {whichever came first} if looked after.

These things don't die, they're murdered.

I like to find a nice open circuit 5/9 on these when I find a non runner. It likely has only lost spark and been put away.
    purplecx500 likes this.
    Rebuilding Handlebar Switches

Rider 81 500C, Thingy Born a 78Z. Ozdeluxe born an 80 shadow.

GET A MULTIMETER RTFM I am a CX500. If you maintain me I will run forever.

http://cx500forum.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

The WIKI link for all the good tech stuff. including free FSM's with addendums

The timing on this issue was bad. I have 3 final exams and a paper next week...oh well. Guess this is going to go slow until the end of next week.

I plan on just running the bike enough to test my stator (I'm nearly positive it's shot, but just want to verify), and then dropping the engine.
    '79 CX500 Standard

Ok, now that I finally have the time to deal with this, I've decided that I'm not going to run the bike more to test the stator. I'm nearly certain it's gone, having spent some time trying to diagnose charging issues in the past, and even if it's not, I want to replace it for my long ride this summer. I also don't want to risk further damaging the engine by running it more.

As far as doing the triple bypass goes, I found this parts list on Motofaction. Is that accurate? I believe my bike is CDI, so I need a G47 stator. Is there any real difference between the different stators listed on eBay? When I search for "cx500 stator 1979", I get a lot of differently priced things that as far as I can tell, are all the same.

Also, it seems that I should do the mechanical seal while I'm in there. Is there any seal that won't require reaming out the hole? I do not have the know-how to do that.
    '79 CX500 Standard

If you can run a drill you can team case. Or shep the seal.
    Shep likes this.
    83 GLI650 carport find

1982 GL500i Daily rider
    1982 GL500 Father/Son winter project. The green hornet! Alive and well!

Mike Nixon's carb book
    Larry Cargill's carb book
    Factory service Manual

Quote Originally Posted by nolimitz View Post
    If you can run a drill you can team case. Or shep the seal.

Click here for the in-bike Mech seal replacement.

CX500 GL500 650 Global ? View topic - In Bike Mechanical seal Replacement

Ok, thanks for the info guys. What's the actual procedure for reaming the case? From the little I've read, it sounded like I would need to bring it to a machinist.

Also, does anyone know if that Motofaction parts list is correct?
    '79 CX500 Standard

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links