Crankcase preasure and oil leaks. - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Crankcase preasure and oil leaks.

One behind it capping a pressure gallery.

If you're looking in the fische I think it's shown with the cylinder block.

edit. Yeah, 10 and 14 in Murrays link.
    Rebuilding Handlebar Switches

Rider 81 500C, Thingy Born a 78Z. Ozdeluxe born an 80 shadow.

GET A MULTIMETER RTFM I am a CX500. If you maintain me I will run forever.

http://cx500forum.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

The WIKI link for all the good tech stuff. including free FSM's with addendums

Plus how many seals bound to break when the radiator is pulled. While I'm there might as well do the thermostat and why not the Oil Pressure and Coolant Temp switches.
    These are all things I need to avoid at this time, It's been a great year of riding this bike but the doctors are suggesting (in a nothing to do with riding way) I may need a more reliable bike or quit riding and the condo association wouldn't allow that kind of work anyway. Even if they both said go for it, I'd rather not.
    Those are a few reasons I'm dealing with the leaks and hoping for something less involved.
    AKA Eric
    1982 GL500 Silver Wing Interstate
    I would have no time to ride if I had to do all the routine maintenance and cosmetics suggested, I chose riding (within my reasoning).

Its not the upper right corner of the front cover gasket is it? They have been known to somehow get pulled inside the engine....

Make sure your crankcase isn't being pressurized; It could happen if the breather hose from the timing cover or the cover itself or the separator chamber (hangs below the airbox and the drain tube is connected to it) becomes clogged. The easiest way to check is to go for a ride and open the dipstick as soon as you shut the engine off. If you hear air rushing out the crankcase is becoming pressurized.

As for not being able to work on it at home, is there another forum member nearby that would let you work on it at their place?
    cowseatmaize likes this.
    Summer - Mr. Honda ('83 GL1000/Dnepr)
    Winter - The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/Veloural)
    Eccles: The Never Ending Build
    my blog at CURD

CX WIKI
    FORUM SETTINGS EVERYONE SHOULD MAKE

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

my blog at CURD

CX WIKI

Quote Originally Posted by Sidecar Bob View Post
    Its not the upper right corner of the front cover gasket is it? They have been known to somehow get pulled inside the engine....

Make sure your crankcase isn't being pressurized; It could happen if the breather hose from the timing cover or the cover itself or the separator chamber (hangs below the airbox and the drain tube is connected to it) becomes clogged. The easiest way to check is to go for a ride and open the dipstick as soon as you shut the engine off. If you hear air rushing out the crankcase is becoming pressurized.

As for not being able to work on it at home, is there another forum member nearby that would let you work on it at their place?
    All things I'm hoping for Bob. Crank breather clog sound the easiest fix, like the Volvo I mentioned.
    The RS front cover gasket wouldn't be horrible either, at this point I'll JB weld it or something.
    I'll probably title it over to my nephew soon, he just got his MC license last year. He may not want an old leaky thing though.
    Tough tomatoes.
    AKA Eric
    I would have no time to ride if I had to do all the routine maintenance and cosmetics suggested, I chose riding (within my reasoning).

If it is a gasket leaking you would be better to patch with silicone sealant than with epoxy. It would be much easier to remove when it is time to do the proper fix.
    my blog at CURD

CX WIKI

The easiest way to check is to go for a ride and open the dipstick as soon as you shut the engine off. If you hear air rushing out the crankcase is becoming pressurized.
    Missed that part, I'll try that later. Thanks.
    AKA Eric

I doubt if opening the dipstick will allow air to escapeAfter the motor is shut off if it was that plugged You would blow more than one gasket very very quickly And definitively
    GET AN OIL FILTER ADAPTER

Order The Quick Build Exhaust Pipes

GET A QUICKSET VALVE TOOL

Way to many bikes to maintain this list LOL !!

email me at murray at murrayscarbs.com

When I redesigned the breather setup on Eccles I thought a PCV valve between the engine and the airbox would be a good idea. The first time it got really cold moisture froze in the valve and it didn't open (largely due to its orientation), pressurizing the crankcase and resulting in my boots & snow pants being coated with oil by the time I got to work. On the way home I stopped a couple of times to shut the engine off and open the dipstick to relieve the pressure and I could definitely hear the pressure escaping each time. I couldn't tell for sure where the pressure had escaped but at the time I suspected the rocker cover seals. It did not blow any gaskets or seals because it did not leak after I replaced the PCV valve with an open fitting.
    Crankcase breather/airbox drain redesign
    cowseatmaize likes this.
    my blog at CURD

CX WIKI

When I redesigned the breather setup on Eccles I thought a PCV valve between the engine and the airbox would be a good idea.
    Cool thought. Did it work in work in warm weather at all or did you abandon the idea completely?
    Last edited by cowseatmaize; 05-14-2017 at 01:28 PM.
    AKA Eric

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links