Crankcase preasure and oil leaks. - Page 3
Close

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Crankcase preasure and oil leaks.

Since Eccles is primarily used in winter I changed to a plain hose from the breather to the airbox the next time the engine was out. It works pretty well, though - the air filter (which I since converted to accept a washable foam element) isn't getting gunked up, there is almost never very much condensate on the floor of the airbox and cleaning the filter on the end of the drain tube has become an annual maintenance job.
    Summer - Mr. Honda ('83 GL1000/Dnepr)
    Winter - The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/Veloural)
    Eccles: The Never Ending Build
    my blog at CURD

CX WIKI
    FORUM SETTINGS EVERYONE SHOULD MAKE

Quote Originally Posted by Sidecar Bob View Post
    Its not the upper right corner of the front cover gasket is it? They have been known to somehow get pulled inside the engine....

Make sure your crankcase isn't being pressurized; It could happen if the breather hose from the timing cover or the cover itself or the separator chamber (hangs below the airbox and the drain tube is connected to it) becomes clogged. The easiest way to check is to go for a ride and open the dipstick as soon as you shut the engine off. If you hear air rushing out the crankcase is becoming pressurized.

As for not being able to work on it at home, is there another forum member nearby that would let you work on it at their place?
    I think you nailed it. I power washed it a little after work, carb cleaned and a little later and started it up.
    This is what I think I got and it's a definite trickle after awhile. I was still only down 6 oz in 400 miles but that's still not quite in the acceptable range.
    This is just starting and running about 30 seconds. I'm rather amazed it doesn't use more.
    Name:  oilleak.jpg
Views: 40
Size:  126.9 KB
    Last edited by cowseatmaize; 05-16-2017 at 03:32 PM.
    AKA Eric
    1982 GL500 Silver Wing Interstate
    Oh but to have a garage and all the tools again.

3 minute @ idle. Annoying as heck.
    Name:  oilleak2j.jpg
Views: 39
Size:  96.3 KB
    AKA Eric

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

It happened on my GL500 too.

BTW: Pressure washing a bike is never the best idea (the water can be forced past hte lips of oil seals - a lot of wheel bearings have been ruined that way) but it is an especially bad idea when you are looking for an oil leak because if oil can get out pressurized water may be able to get in.
    my blog at CURD

CX WIKI

Thanks Bob, I had that in mind.
    I was as careful as I could be with the jet, only the crusted stuff away from seals, gaskets. The rest was a little degreaser and more a flow of water, Carb cleaner and a rinse and wipe for the more delicate areas. I didn't wash the whole bike either just the front engine area. One day I may do that.
    AKA Eric

I forgot to mention: That gasket can be replaced with the engine in the frame (drain the oil first). You could easily do it on a friend's driveway on a sunny day; The hardest part will probably be removing the old gasket.

I recommend replacing all the o-rings & seals under it while it is off (an o-ring kit from Harbor Freight or similar will probably provide what you need) and using of a torque wrench during assembly should ensure that you don't either break screws or have them come loose later on.
    NOTE: When the FSM specifies the torque for a bolt size they are referring to the diameter of the bolt's shank, not the size of wrench you need for its head (I know that sounds obvious to most of us but too many people have broken off screws because they didn't know).
    my blog at CURD

CX WIKI

You do need to put a jack under the motor and remove the radiator and engine hanger It won't clear the radiator mount on the hanger to come off.

Be sure to use the right sized O rings as these are critical to the engines oil pressure.
    Sidecar Bob likes this.
    Rebuilding Handlebar Switches

Rider 81 500C, Thingy Born a 78Z. Ozdeluxe born an 80 shadow.

GET A MULTIMETER RTFM I am a CX500. If you maintain me I will run forever.

http://cx500forum.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

The WIKI link for all the good tech stuff. including free FSM's with addendums

How much of the fairing? Will just the side covers give me what I need? It doesn't sound too hard, I mean, what could possibly break just buy taking the radiator, fan and ??? else off. If a day would do, maybe. I'll likely just clean it again and go for inspection though.

I'll leave stuff like take down and fix to the next owner (NO), enjoy the summer and hope for the best of buy a new bike.
    Maybe I'll try Flex-Seal®
    No seriously! It seals anything.

The doctors say the round of radiation/chemo didn't do the trick, biopsy still shows cancer and additional rad/chem has been excluded. There is one other thing they think I can try but it's still not proven, just shows promise and has been approved for some with other options not doable.
    AKA Eric

I forgot it was an Interstate. Yeah, you would have to remove the fairing bracket to get the engine mounts off. If you aren't familiar with it and are a slow worker (like me) you would need to allow 2 good days just in case, one if your friend with the driveway you are working on has a GL and knows how to work on it.

And I forgot about your health problems. Don't seal it with anything that won't come off when the time comes or the next owner will curse you. I still recommend silicone sealant: Clean the area really well with a solvent that will strip any traces of oil and work the silicone into the gasket area well, spreading it out for at least 1/4" on either side. Do not run the engine until the silicone has cured overnight and then check the torque on the screws near the affected area just in case.
    my blog at CURD

CX WIKI

I'll switch up to some 20W-50 oil too. I found a case of Havoline leftover from the early 90's in the basement after my dad passed. He never threw anything out.
    AKA Eric

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links