Intermittent Hesitation
Close

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Intermittent Hesitation

Intermittent Hesitation

Hello all,

Today I went on the 10th annual Spring ride and BBQ. My motorcycle performed flawlessly. I did some riding after, and when I was riding home from the UFC fights, my motorcycle starting hesitating at anything more than half throttle. It would take throttle but not produce more power so that says it's running rich. The way it was running, it was like one cylinder was not firing, and it seemed to not have enough dwell. This leads me to think it's a spark issue. I installed new plugs last fall before I put it in storage, and it did this once last fall for a brief moment, and a few times this spring, but never as bad as tonight. It hesitated in all gears, and refused to go above 5K rpm, and I had trouble maintaining 65 mph. It continuously stumbled and then, when I was almost home, it cleared up and I had good power production all the way up to 7500 rpm. Do these bikes like to shit coils? Or spark computers? Maybe a wire going bad? I looked and didn't find a thread like this, so if you guys could share your experience if you have had a similar problem, I would appreciate it.

Thanks
    83-GL650
    05 Astro Van
    78 CX 500
    78 CX 500 Future Bobber

I drive my motorcycle whenever I can, but sometimes am forced to take my minivan. My brother said it best, 'You are a cowboy, sometimes you take the horse, sometimes you gotta take the wagon'

OCR
    Possible piece of crud in the carb too.
    Do you use an inline filter?
    Do you use occasional fuel treatment?

Try removing the bowls and flushing them out.
    Past Master, Dryden Lodge #472
    Caroline Lodge # 681
    RAM Fidelity # 77

'79CX500C

http://www.cx500forum.com/mediawiki

we are all given sh*t in life, but some of us learn to turn it into fertilizer and grow from it, and some us try to fling it on others like monkeys.

Water in the float bowls coming through from the tank?
    Rebuilding Handlebar Switches

Rider 81 500C, Thingy Born a 78Z. Ozdeluxe born an 80 shadow.

GET A MULTIMETER RTFM I am a CX500. If you maintain me I will run forever.

http://cx500forum.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

The WIKI link for all the good tech stuff. including free FSM's with addendums

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

Failing vacuum petcock, debris in petcock filter straw???
    Plugged gas tank vent??? Try reserve fuel next time this happens.
    cowseatmaize likes this.
    1979 CX500C (Marshall's bike)

1981 Yamaha XS650 (New Adventure)

1979 Honda CB400T II (Rescued Bike)

1972 Suzuki RV90(for the grandkids)Ole Smokey

I've had those symptoms from a failing ignition coil, particularly with a hot engine. That was on a CDI-fired 500, though. Would weak coil on a TI system behave the same way?

Do some resistance checks (hot and cold, ideally) through the coils, wires, and plug caps.

R
    Last edited by Randall-in-Mpls; 05-14-2017 at 01:28 PM.
    10th Annual Minnesota Spring Ride and Barbecue - Saturday, May 13, 2017
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1978 CX500 Standard - The Grub

1981 GL500 Basket case -> AdventureWing (Dual-sport conversion in progress) - Part 1 - Part 2 - Part 3

1979 CX500 Deluxe rolling chassis -> Hmm?

I was in traffic today, and after the bike warmed up enough to turn the fan on, it started happening again. The problem is worse the hotter it gets. I will try the reserve tank idea tomorrow. I don't believe it would be a tank vent issue, as I occasionally smell a quick wiff of fuel. I will ohm out the coil before I ride tomorrow, hopefully it is easy enough to get at so I can check the resistance after its fully warm. I will make sure to post the solution for future reference. Thanks for the ideas, I will continue looking.
    83-GL650
    05 Astro Van
    78 CX 500
    78 CX 500 Future Bobber

I drive my motorcycle whenever I can, but sometimes am forced to take my minivan. My brother said it best, 'You are a cowboy, sometimes you take the horse, sometimes you gotta take the wagon'

You didn't say if you have ever had the carbs out for a proper cleaning.
    The 2,4,10 rule: know what is happening 2 seconds, 4 seconds and 10 seconds down the road.

Current: '03 Kawasaki ZZR1200, '84 Kawasaki GPZ900R, '84 VF500F Interceptor, '83 GL650I, '81 CX500C, '82 GL500I project, '81 CX500C basket case, '79 CB750LTD, '85 CB700SC, '01 Kawasaki ZRX1200R, '72 Yamaha G7S

All the carb ideas you guys have posted now have me thinking about cleaning the carbs. I have not cleaned them since I got the bike last year. All the symptoms point me to a spark issue, but I will go through the carbs, just to see. The coils are buried, and if I don't see anything in the carbs, and it happens again after I do the carbs, I will replace the coils, just because I have had coil issues in minivans that have acted the same way. Thank you for mentioning the carbs so much, I would have never thought to look at them first.
    83-GL650
    05 Astro Van
    78 CX 500
    78 CX 500 Future Bobber

I, too, think it's an electrical fault, but you're welcome to borrow my ultrasonic cleaner for your carbs.

R
    10th Annual Minnesota Spring Ride and Barbecue - Saturday, May 13, 2017
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1978 CX500 Standard - The Grub

1981 GL500 Basket case -> AdventureWing (Dual-sport conversion in progress) - Part 1 - Part 2 - Part 3

1979 CX500 Deluxe rolling chassis -> Hmm?

All this carb/elec talk makes me wonder about what was said in the main fuse part of the WIKI. It stated a flaky main can mimic both. Main Fuse Modification - CXGL
    Randall-in-Mpls likes this.
    AKA Eric
    1982 GL500 Silver Wing Interstate
    Oh but to have a garage and all the tools again.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links