Close

I've read a few posts about dual piston calipers retro-fitted on to a single piston bike. In each case (CB900 and here in the forum a CX650) it seems that the dual piston calipers are essentualy the same caliper and require the special mounting bracket that goes with it off the original bike. Does anyone actually know if the dual piston GL500 thru GL1100 actually fit (including with its mounting bracket)? Maybe these calipers are common enough to start a rebuilding business or at least find someone to make the mounting brackets. On the other hand it might be easier to up-grade the master cylinger to a larger bore/stroke master cyl. which would give the same effect. What about installing a GL1300 Master cyl. (intended for dual calipers or dual pistons) on one of these old bikes. The new master is needed anyway because of the age of the older parts and one would not have to worry about chaining the caliper nor its mouting brackets etc..... BUT, BECAREFUL NOT TO LAND ON YOUR HEAD! I have not tried this and I don't know the answers myself. One person said the CX disc is larger than CB900. Master cylinders are (generally speaking) not that specific bike to bike as long as it fits the hardware handlebars and mirror. MC displacement (read bigger stroke not bore) will not require much longer brake levers whereas bigger bore will require longer brake levers (I'm thinking Harley big bike). In any case it is something to think about. Parts are easy to find and manage; 7/8 handle bar--easy, 14mm ??? thread banjo bolt (most are the same), correct mirror thread--- and you get NEW PARTS including starting buttons+kill switch. Dont forget to replace the annealed sealing washers for the banjo bolt. Aluminum is better bc copper corrodes steal and in a few year you'll build it again.

Please let me know what you think. sierramerkur@hotmail.com

OK not starting buttons and kill switch. but the new parts (since they are off a newer bike) would be easier to source.

Ok I'll attempt this. Honda used the same calipers on a ton of bikes. The problem isn't the calipers. The problem is that in order for them to use the calipers they had to fit different mounting brackets. In most cases the mounting brackets are different due to the size/diameter of the disc.

The gl500's have a smaller disc on them compared to the north american cx500 which has a larger disc. A perfect bolt on replacement to upgrade the cx500 would be to get the dual piston caliper and bracket off a cx650. But a few other bikes did use the same bracket.

http://2wheels2nuts.blogspot.com/200...rake-swap.html

We actually have all the info here somewhere. And I have a cb900 caliper and bracket on my bike.
    1968 Honda CT90 Trail-Yellow Monster project
    1979 Honda CX500 Supertanker 72,000 miles.
    1983 Honda Gl650I Falcon-killer 70,000 miles.
    Pictures of my bikes Past and Present.

Quick Reference Sheps Forum Supertanker Build Back up Info ⇒ Free Factory Service Manuals ⇐

Here it is.

http://cx500forum.com/index.php?/top...-caliper-swap/

And these are the bikes.

CB900C

CX650C CUSTOM

VT500C

CB550SC

FT500

VT500C SHADOW

CB750C

VF500C

V30 MAGNA

VT500FT SHADOW
    1968 Honda CT90 Trail-Yellow Monster project
    1979 Honda CX500 Supertanker 72,000 miles.
    1983 Honda Gl650I Falcon-killer 70,000 miles.
    Pictures of my bikes Past and Present.

Quick Reference Sheps Forum Supertanker Build Back up Info ⇒ Free Factory Service Manuals ⇐

Quote Originally Posted by Blindstitch View Post
    Here it is.

http://cx500forum.com/index.php?/top...-caliper-swap/

And these are the bikes.

CB900C

CX650C CUSTOM

VT500C

CB550SC

FT500

VT500C SHADOW

CB750C

VF500C

V30 MAGNA

VT500FT SHADOW

Here are pictures of my own bikes:

VT500FT (The VT500FT is the Ascot, the VT500C is the Shadow):

CB550SC:

As you can see, both of those forks use the larger bracket style, not the shorter bracket that the CX500's single piston caliper uses:

What tool did you use to cross reference the caliper bracket part number?

'72 CB450K5 | '79 CX500 | '84 CB700SC

It's not what it is, it's what it does.

Hi I rebuilt the caliper on my GL500I.I replaced 2 of the pistons and the pads.But they would still not release all of the way.I would stop and open the bleed screw then coutinue on my way Then I bought a master cilinder for a GL 1100.But it would not apply full braking without pumping it .I just refit the OEM master that I had rebuilt.Took it all apart again and used a single wire from a wire brush and needle nose pliers to clean the little relief hole.SEEMS TO WORK FINE NOW

HONDA MOE
    GL500I 1982

Maybe it is not needed but I want to clarify some things.

There are TWO GL500 twin piston setups used on bikes sold in the USA, the regular one uses a single 276mm disc on the left side of the bike, as you sit on it.

The GL500I as in Interstate uses two smaller discs with corresponding different caliper mounts, like the one on the right above.

These calipers will interchange with most all other Honda twin piston calipers of that era, the mounts will often NOT!

For instance the caliper and mount on the left above is off some custom/cruiser that has a fork style called leading axle, the distance between the caliper mount holes is much greater than on "conventional" forks, this is only bad if you have miss matched parts that won't bolt up.

Each disc/rotor diameter also has to be taken into account, and to top it off two more variables! There are left hand and right hand versions with the extra fun that some ebay sellers can't tell the difference. Then there is yet another mount style for those bikes fitted with the TRAX (sp?) anti dive system, these look really odd..

Now for the bonus, yet another problem will be if you want to run the 296mm 10mm wide rotors from a 1982 GL1100 Aspencade, you guessed it even if you have a caliper mount for this rotor size it must have a WIDE notch for the rotor to pass through.

There is probably more issues with leading axle and TRAX type forks but that is beyond my knowledge.

One of these days I will collect enough variants and photograph them side by side on graph paper.
    79 CX500

82 GL500

89 Hawk GT

73 CB350G

Iowa

Sponsors