Close
    Hi All,

Having read various posts on replacing the tacho cable I note they are not necassarily on an CX500 EC. When I bought the bike the seller said that the engine needed to be dropped to change the cable so I've avoided replacing the cable. On this forum everyone says they only needed to remove the radiator and the fan.

Nowing that all models are not the same in all aspects can any one tell me which it is - radiator removal or engine drop.

Naturally I'm hoping it's the radiator job which I can probably manage without help, an enging drop probably means I'll carry on riding around without the tacho like the last 5 years.

Many thanks in advance.

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by AndyNC View Post
    Hi All,

Having read various posts on replacing the tacho cable I note they are not necassarily on an CX500 EC. When I bought the bike the seller said that the engine needed to be dropped to change the cable so I've avoided replacing the cable. On this forum everyone says they only needed to remove the radiator and the fan.

Nowing that all models are not the same in all aspects can any one tell me which it is - radiator removal or engine drop.

Naturally I'm hoping it's the radiator job which I can probably manage without help, an enging drop probably means I'll carry on riding around without the tacho like the last 5 years.

Many thanks in advance.

Andy
    Andy--First make sure that it is definately a broken cable and not a fault with the head unit.--With the Euro's you can undo the screw that holds the cable into the drive without removing either the motor or the rad.If you remove the tank and follow the cable to where it "dissapears" into the drive unit,then,get on your knees and look up through the header pipes on the RH side and you will see the machine screw you need to undo to release the cable.This is a bit tricky but you will get there-or-and it's sometimes easier,just drain and take the radiator off when all will be revealed.If you go down this route,change the machine screw for a bolt to make it much easier next time.Doing this job on a Euro is way easier than on a GL,believe me.-Good luck-WK
    CX400 Euro 1986 in mint condition

CX500 Euro 1986 fully restored from wreck

!970 Honda S90 Sport

Hi White Knight,

It is the cable. If taken off the end at the tacho and there's no inner.

Another job for the weekend along with the upper fork shell and front wheel bearings.

Cheers

Andy

Quote Originally Posted by White Knight View Post
    Andy--First make sure that it is definately a broken cable and not a fault with the head unit.--With the Euro's you can undo the screw that holds the cable into the drive without removing either the motor or the rad.If you remove the tank and follow the cable to where it "dissapears" into the drive unit,then,get on your knees and look up through the header pipes on the RH side and you will see the machine screw you need to undo to release the cable.This is a bit tricky but you will get there-or-and it's sometimes easier,just drain and take the radiator off when all will be revealed.If you go down this route,change the machine screw for a bolt to make it much easier next time.Doing this job on a Euro is way easier than on a GL,believe me.-Good luck-WK

Hi

I'm interested in this post as I've reached a barrier removing my tacho cable (Honda cx500 1980). After some difficulty I managed to undo the retaining screw on the engine block, but the cable won't come out! I've tried a bit of gentle pulling and twisting, then some gentle tapping with hammer and screwdriver but still no luck. Any suggestions? There's no room to grab the cable base unless I remove a lot of other hardware first. Should the cable just pull out as my manual suggests? Any advice appreciated

Rousey

When you say you managed to undo the screw I wonder if you took it out,

the screw needs to be totally withdrawn to allow the cable to come out

just a thought
    1982 CX500CB, 1981 CX500B, 1983 CX650C - alive, 1983 CX650C - dead, CX650ED work in progress

To err is Human, its just that some of us are more Human than others...

Quote Originally Posted by Dickie View Post
    When you say you managed to undo the screw I wonder if you took it out,

the screw needs to be totally withdrawn to allow the cable to come out

just a thought

Hi, yes I did take the screw right out, good thought though

Sponsors