Ride CX500 or GL500 to Australia
Close

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Cobram

Thread: Ride CX500 or GL500 to Australia

Ride CX500 or GL500 to Australia

Hi to all you wanna-be, gonna-be and have-been, long-haul, CX riders out there! I have wondered, for a while now, if it's possible for an ordinary motorcyclist of limited means, in other words relatively poor, to ride to Australia from Britain. To be honest I have not done any research yet except reading a story in a bike mag about a bloke from London who rode an Australian Postman Scooter from Aus to UK a few years back. Anyone who has seen these little machines would be impressed by this feat! I have no doubt it is possible to accomplish on a GL or CX 500 but I am daunted by the prospect of trying to obtain a dozen or more Visas and Travel permits for the trip. Any helpful feedback would be very much appreciated. I dont intend to leave until early 2017 so there's plenty of time to save and plan for the trip. I rode from Scotland to Italy and back on a little MZ in May and June 2010 and really enjoyed the adventure! Finally if anyone out there is interested in joining me and is prepared to "rough it" a little, sleep under the stars etc, feel free to get in touch. Been to australia a dozen times in last 20 years but obviously not travelling on a motorcycle! Cheers Dudes! Hope to hear from some of you soon!

Sure it's possible. You wouldn't even need to start the bike. Just role it onto a freighter in Sydney or Melbourne and role it back off when the ship gets to London. See? Easy.
    1980 CX500 Custom Café/Brat
    Live in Saginaw and work 290 miles north in Manistique

Quote Originally Posted by mztogl500 View Post
    Hi to all you wanna-be, gonna-be and have-been, long-haul, CX riders out there! I have wondered, for a while now, if it's possible for an ordinary motorcyclist of limited means, in other words relatively poor, to ride to Australia from Britain.
    I don't think it's possible, at least until they finish the bridge.

I'd be interested, but I'm getting a little too long in the tooth to be roughing it. The only stars that interest me slumber wise are how many the Hotel has. Is it even worth it to bring your own bike? It might be more economical to buy one when you get there than deal with import paperwork/freight charges etc. When you're done with the tour, selling it will likely recoup most of your cash outlay for the bike.

Best to let the Aussies chime in, that'll likely be the most up to date and accurate info you can get.
    nippongreen likes this.
    1978 CX500 X 2
    1982 GL500I

I live on a one-way street that's also a dead end. I'm not sure how I got here, or how I'm going to get out.

Four wheels move the body; Two wheels move the Soul.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

This should give you a few tips ... http://www.google.co.nz/url?sa=t&rct...OZHJHn-WDbPwig
    1980 CX500 custom

Thanks English Bob. Loved South Island when I was there two years ago. Think Burma (Myanmar) is the biggest obstacle coz of military regime. Will have to get ship from Indonesia to Darwin. Have driven to Darwin from southern Tasmania in 2001. An orange Datsun 180B my first car as it happens. Didnt pass car test until 2000, bike test in 1991.

...and as the elders of our time choose to remain blind, let us rejoice and let us sing and dance and ring in the new. Hail Atlantis!

1975 XL-100, 1978 CX500, 1980 CX500, 1981 CX500

Sponsored Links