2016 Amish rally - Page 3
Close

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast
Like Tree130Likes

Thread: 2016 Amish rally

Dave,
    The Amish rally has nearly always fallen on the weekend of my wife's birthday (even the 1st rally in 2008 that Chris and i attended)..............She's a keeper for sure ........
    granlund1 likes this.
    Present bikes:

1979 Honda CX500 Deluxe "Bessie"

1982 Honda GL500i "Scruffy" + Velorex 562 sidecar

2001 Honda ST1100 "Cody"

1983 Honda CX650E "DJ"

3@ 1979 CX500 Deluxe Donor Bikes

The Amish 2016 will be great fun. Thanks Chili for stepping in and getting this done. One big perk of leading the rally is getting to pick the dates. There will be other years where whoever wants to take the reins can pick the dates they want.

Let's all do Chili a big favor and keep the comments and suggestions positive and constructive.

I think anyone who has a pet idea can do the necessary work to see it happen, whether it be ride schedules or tech sessions or whatever.

Hopefully the turnout in 2016 will include those who traditionally have attended but who missed 2015 for whatever reason.

Sent from my HTCD200LVW using Tapatalk
    On the road, enjoying life.

Dave, I could be wrong about it being the first weekend sometimes, but I remember it being ovrr 100 that one year and it being moved back the following yr, then being moved agead to get out of the college & littl league traffic, but still not moving it 2 weeks because of the heat again.

One weekend difference between the first & second for heat is not as important an issue as between the 2nd & 3rd for traffic. Keith, when is the wives b-day? third weekend?

I'm making comments in the other thread about making map and ride booklets mostly in case I'm not in attendance. I won't feel as though the attendees were left high and dry and not able to find good roads and points of interest. Plus, small groups of 2 or 3 might be moree inclined to venture out on their own like Brad & brownrice did this year. If they get done, it will likely be yours truly who tacles it since I have the idea and destinations to do it.

If Keith comes, it wil be added fun!
    Last edited by TonyG; 10-25-2015 at 09:10 PM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

I'm with Chili all the way! Not only in spirit but physically with Chili at the 2016 on his invitation. I am switching my current interests to a new project in case you haven't heard, I recently purchased a 1948 Willys Jeep CJ 2A to be the road replacement for my two and three wheel adventures it will be the Rat Rod of my past life. I may have it roadworthy by Amish Rally time, I may not. either way I'll be there supporting the Spirit of the HTTA!

Name:  1948 Willys Jeep 001.jpg
Views: 371
Size:  1.78 MB

What is this other thread that Tony keeps alluding to? and how does one find it?

My avatar on the left is a photo of me in my first Willys Jeep I was an 18 year old 120 lbs "Light Vehicle Operator" (for years I thought my MOS meant me).

Last edited by Phil in Vermont; 02-09-2016 at 02:53 PM.
    Previous bikes.

78 CX500 Deluxe.
    82 GL500 Old Yeller Converted to 3 wheels.
    83 Honda Vt500 Shadow
    83 Honda GL1100 Traded for Old Yeller
    85 Honda Vt750 Shadow.
    06 Suzuki S50 Boulevard. Converted to 3 wheels. Suzie
    83 Honda GL650. Converted to hammerhead trike. La-Cosa
    82 Honda GL500. Converted to 3 wheels. Radio Flyer II.

Every day above ground is a good one!

Gents,

While new to this list and group, I will also endeavor to attend. I will be leaving from Northern Virginia if anyone wants to ride in a group. And yes I will be riding as I believe if you have a plane it should not be trailered but rather flown. Same applies to bikes, Ride it till you need to have a trike...

Phil (Virginia)
    Hawkflyer

For what it is worth I have no dog in the race as to the nature of this event and I am looking forward to it no matter when you hold it; BUT... There is a far larger annual motorcycle rally/event over the third week of August. The 911 first responders motorcycle rally travels to Shanksville, WTC ground zero in New York City and finally ending at the Pentagon in Arlington VIrginia. There are hundreds of participants and police block roads and intersections in support of their passage. In your planning you may want to consider either avoiding or participating in that event for a short distance. But either way that event can only add to the traffic issues you are already aware of.

I'm just sayin' (:>o)
    Last edited by HawkFlyer; 12-02-2015 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Read the entire thread and had additional thoughts
    1983 Honda GL650i

Past Bikes
    Yamaha RD-250B
    Yamaha RD-400E

A pilot who runs out of ideas and altitude at the same time can always be found at the bottom of the nearest smoking hole.

Vacation time already approved! Barring any unforeseen circumstances, Ill be there! We've plenty of time to discuss particulars, Chuck. Right now, I'm still wrestling with that fuel leak right now.
    Dan
    The name is Dan ... please use it freely.

1982 GL500I

1981 CX500C

Chesapeake, VA

Duct tape is like the Force ... it has a dark side and a light side and it holds the universe together.

Too funny Dan,
    I submitted my 2016 vacation requests today
    Present bikes:

1979 Honda CX500 Deluxe "Bessie"

1982 Honda GL500i "Scruffy" + Velorex 562 sidecar

2001 Honda ST1100 "Cody"

1983 Honda CX650E "DJ"

3@ 1979 CX500 Deluxe Donor Bikes

Times they are a changing. I intend to be at the 2016 HTTA Amish Rally But from where, I'm not exactly sure. Will I still be Phil in Lowgap or will I again be Phil in VT If from the south I'll be riding with Chili. If from VT, I'll be riding with Amy & Pete. Either way it will be great.

Maybe I'll hit the lottery and helicopter in.

Pop yellow smoke when you hear me coming!
    Last edited by Phil in Vermont; 02-09-2016 at 02:59 PM.
    Previous bikes.

78 CX500 Deluxe.
    82 GL500 Old Yeller Converted to 3 wheels.
    83 Honda Vt500 Shadow
    83 Honda GL1100 Traded for Old Yeller
    85 Honda Vt750 Shadow.
    06 Suzuki S50 Boulevard. Converted to 3 wheels. Suzie
    83 Honda GL650. Converted to hammerhead trike. La-Cosa
    82 Honda GL500. Converted to 3 wheels. Radio Flyer II.

Every day above ground is a good one!

Cost accounting for 2016 Amish rally

Hope the title doesn't frighten anybody off, this won't hurt.

I've been thinking about an issue that's not really a big deal but in my opinion could be systematized a bit more than what I recall from my previous trips to the Amish rally. Specifically, we never had a mechanism for keeping track of how much everyone had spent on food that was purchased (at Walmart, etc.) for the common good, so there was no way to determine what would be a fair share for everyone else. I'm thinking that food (always a popular topic in this crowd) classifies itself in two ways:

• When we go out to the Country Cupboard (or wherever) - everyone is on his own, and that's not a problem.
    • When we eat communally at the campground - breakfasts, for example; someone had to buy a few tens of dollars worth of goodies, and everybody eats it, and then wonders how much they owe.

I'm thinking about a scheme that goes something like this:

(As resident House Mother and Keeper of the Keys, I'll volunteer to be the bookkeeper for this scheme)

1. Keep track of all food buys for the common good: How much and who fronted the money: this will likely have to be updated most every day. I would post this somewhere everyone can see it.

2. Periodically (maybe daily) calculate how those costs proportion out among the attendees, to provide a pretty good indication of fair shares. This could get tricky depending on when people arrive at and leave the rally.

3. Collect contributions from the group periodically to cover the costs to date, then zero out the sum and start over.

In the past, it seems we basically depended on people to occasionally throw a ten or twenty onto the kitchen table and then hoped we'd come out more or less even. The intention here is to add a bit of rigor to the process.

OK, that's what I have in mind. Very open to suggestions, improvements, alternate ideas....

Your turn.
    1979 CX500 Custom, "Malaria", pronounced "mala-REE-ah"

Prior bikes I wish I still owned:
    1965 Ducati 250 Monza
    1973 Kawasaki H1E 500cc triple
    1968 Honda CL450K1 scrambler
    1984 Kawasaki KZ700A
    For something completely different, look me up on YouTube under "muttbert"
    Full-service misanthrope and curmudgeon
    One of the great unanswered questions: Why is "bra" singular and "panties" plural?

Quote Originally Posted by Phil in Lowgap View Post

Maybe I'll hit the lottery and helicopter in.

Pop yellow smoke when you hear me coming!
    LZ Amish. I can provide sound effects and covering fire if you want the whole experience,
    nippongreen and OCR like this.
    Of all the things I've learned to make....money is the hardest.

Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links