Hi from Newbie Ash in East Yorks UK - Page 2
Close

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Hi from Newbie Ash in East Yorks UK

Hi there had a lot on with work this week after storing the bike at my mates warehouse on Monday. I hope to revisit next week and try to investigate what the bike looks like under the seat and if the engine will turn.
    Interested in contacting 'Shep' if anyone has any details that he is still around in East Yorkshire.

Best wishes ... Ash

Shep's user name is Shep, so you might try a PM here on the forum. Although, I've not seen much of him lately, and according to the forum stats,
    Last Activity 12-20-2015 04:31 AM
    May the myriad of wheels in your head, keep the two wheels between your legs rubber side down.

Age 61
    No more stable, no more ride for me.

G-Loria's Story I miss her dearly, but she is in good hands.
    Forum Settings that everyone should make
    Photo posting tips!

The WIKI link for all the good tech stuff. including free FSM's with addendums

Larry's most excellent CX/GL Carb book link

Quote Originally Posted by ashimotoK0 View Post
    Hi there had a lot on with work this week after storing the bike at my mates warehouse on Monday. I hope to revisit next week and try to investigate what the bike looks like under the seat and if the engine will turn.
    Interested in contacting 'Shep' if anyone has any details that he is still around in East Yorkshire.

Best wishes ... Ash
    I emailed him a year or two ago via his website . He was very helpful. Like I said, he doesn't do the forums any more; he seems to be a man of many interests and talents. CXGLFixing Contact button at the bottom of this page.
    1980 CX500A (UK)
    Start each day with a smile, and get it over with.

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

I visited the bike yesterday and removed the 17mm cover (thanks for heads up on that) and got a full hex socket onto the crank bolt. It was solid to begin with but then freed off and rotates fine now. I didn't use undue force. I removed the RH tappet cover and it looked nice in there ..oily smell but pretty dry of oil. There was a lot of corrosion around the plug so I left that alone. Do you think I should take off the carbs and ultrasonically clean them and attempt to start it up. Or would it be better to remove the heads to do a better internal inspection of the top end ? How do you think the internals in contact with the coolant will have fared? I guess it's the original 1982 coolant in there. Pretty sure the mileage is correct at 305 miles as the guy also had other low milers.

I managed to remove the seat , there is some surface corrosion, nothing serious, Name:  IMG_9541.JPG
Views: 77
Size:  777.1 KBName:  IMG_9548.JPG
Views: 77
Size:  957.8 KB to the pan but the foam looks brand new and the cover is perfect.

I also contacted 'Shep', who I gather is near to me and he replied saying he will try to help via email contact.

Many thanks and best wishes ... Ash

I got this kind reply from 'Shep'

"I would change the oil and filter and coolant and plugs and put some fresh fuel in and try to start it and go from there.You have to ask yourself,"Why was the bike left fallow?".

The most common failure,if the engine runs,will be the Mechanical Water pump seal at the top-back of the engine.This is normally an engine-out job but I have MY fix to hand"

http://www.pdsrecording.site90.com/cxgl500/Mseal.html

CX500/GL500(shep)
    Chilliphil likes this.

Before You unscrew this spark plug you should crack the white aluminium oxide stuff (around the spark plug).
    Take a 4 or 5 mm steel rod or screwdriver.
    To get the white stuff out of the hole, use a vacuum cleaner.

... or air pressure (compressor) through the drain hole (on the side of the cylinder head) when unscrewing the spark plug. (use goggles for the eyes.)

I'm rather sure you can take a look into the cylinder, piston and some parts of the cylinder walls by using a good torch.

If You will see white or red stuff .... dry Your tears ;-))

I checked the coolant in both the header tank and the radiator . Both looked ultra clean and clear of debris/corrosion residue but the header tank had GREEN fluid and the radiator had RED !!! I am confused. Could it be that the factory shipped with red and then part of PDI was to top up and they used different colours of coolant fluids?

Name:  Red  antifreeze.JPG
Views: 49
Size:  197.7 KBName:  Green antifreeze.JPG
Views: 50
Size:  1.83 MB
    Last edited by ashimotoK0; 01-12-2017 at 01:38 AM.

OCR
    Sniff test!
    Does the red smell like the green?
    Try mixing a small amount together and see what results.
    Past Master, Dryden Lodge #472
    Caroline Lodge # 681
    RAM Fidelity # 77

'79CX500C

http://cx500forum.com/mediawiki/inde...itle=Main_Page

we are all given sh*t in life, but some of us learn to turn it into fertilizer and grow from it, and some us try to fling it on others like monkeys.

Quote Originally Posted by ashimotoK0 View Post
    I checked the coolant in both the header tank and the radiator . Both looked ultra clean and clear of debris/corrosion residue but the header tank had GREEN fluid and the radiator had RED !!! I am confused. Could it be that the factory shipped with red and then part of PDI was to top up and they used different colours of coolant fluids?
    The header tank is the so called coolant reservoir near to the rear part of the engine ( ?? )

I think someone filled - a very short time before You get the bike- green fluid into the -maybe- empty header tank.
    When the engine is warmed up the warm coolant from the radiator will flow*) into the reservoir. but not enough to change the green colour to brown.
    *) when the overpressure valve in the rad cap works well

A "sniff test" will say: Both fluids smell like alkohol, the most important ingredient of the cooling fluid.
    when You mix it it will get a light brown colour.

BTW: What is the brown/black dirt in the syringe ?

Black is the rubber bung seal in the bottom of the syringe and any other bits around were not in the coolant. I don't think this bike has been touched for absolutely ages going by the other stuff he had. I would estimate 20 years.

Yes my terminolgy was bad it is the Coolant Reservoir that had the Green stuff in it.

My friend who has built CX500 based trikes in the past ....sniffed the GREEN stuff and said it smelt fine .. he also tasted it and said it was fine ... and yes I know ethylene glycol is poisonous !!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links