Hi from Newbie Ash in East Yorks UK
Close

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Hi from Newbie Ash in East Yorks UK

Hi from Newbie Ash in East Yorks UK

Hi from Ashley (Ash) or Ashimoto, as my friends call me. I live in East Yorkshire UK. I have 8 Classic Hondas I am restoring from 1968 CD125A 'sloper' to CB750K0 . My passion is for the 1960's CB250SS . Last Friday picking up a 1969 CB250SS left outside for ages, I found this buried in a dilapidated shed, roof gone buried in junk. Its only done 305 miles ! it's still in my van and the photo probably flatters it a bit. Not sure what to do with it. Should I try to restore it and add to my collection? If I find tomorrow that the engine isn't seized what do you guys suggest as a next step to assessing it's condition ?

Cheers Ash

Name:  IMG_9442.JPG
Views: 184
Size:  2.37 MB
    Last edited by ashimotoK0; 12-04-2016 at 06:27 PM.

Welcome aboard THE premier forum for these machines! You can find just about anything you need to know within the forum.
    From the looks of it, it would be a very exciting candidate for a restoration! Much of the surface rust/grime and dried rubber bits can probably be scrubbed up nicely, although replacing the rubber hoses and grommets etc. would likely be the best.
    It's hard to see if there is any rust in the critical areas, like the under carriage/swing arm, etc.

If the motor turns freely clockwise via the 17mm crankshaft bolt (under a 17mm cover at the bottom of the front of the engine) then it shouldn't be too hard to get the thing to run, with help from the many articles and tip in the WIKI linked below. It also has the free-to-download factory service manual, with appropriate year/model addendums.

And the members here have tons of tips for tricks to get it spiffed up and riding again, should you desire.

I can't fathom who would toss aside a bike with only 300 miles on it. Checking wear items like foot peg rubber, shifter pedal rubber, and hand grips for wear can help determine if the odometer has rolled over.

Ask away in the various forum sections, you will find many ideas.

Joel in the Couve
    May the myriad of wheels in your head, keep the two wheels between your legs rubber side down.

Age 62
    No more stable, no more ride for me.

Gloria's Story including PartII> I miss her dearly, but she is in good hands. Part III included at the end of the link.

Forum Settings that everyone should make

Photo and Video posting Tips

The WIKI link for all the good tech stuff. including free FSM's
    with addendums

Larry's most excellent CX/GL Carb book link

Quote Originally Posted by ramprat06 View Post
    I can't fathom who would toss aside a bike with only 300 miles on it. Checking wear items like foot peg rubber, shifter pedal rubber, and hand grips for wear can help determine if the odometer has rolled over.
    And the DOT code of the tyres

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

You can't not put this back on the road!
    As you're in East Yorkshire you should also know about an ex-stalwart of this site and all-round CX legend who lives (lived?) in Hull. You'll see Shep's name mentioned frequently, especially as the champion of a quick method of repairing a leaky mechanical water seal. Shep doesn't frequent the forum any more but his website is worth knowing about. CX500/GL500(shep)
    Yes this is an outstanding international forum for all thing CX but there is also a good UK club with active members not that far from you. CX / GL MCC ? The CX-GL MCC (UK)
    Get your spanners (and wallet) out and start asking questions!
    Tallpaul likes this.
    1980 CX500A (UK)
    Start each day with a smile, and get it over with.

Thanks for the warm welcome..it's definitely a 300 miler borne out by the other bikes the guy had, there was a CB250G5 next to the CX that had only 2k miles (which I also bought). He had CB450 bombers/engines/frames/CB72 frames & parts all over the place and all of his bikes had done fairly minuscule miles. He son also still has a 400A auto with 154 miles on it that was left in the garden under a tarp. He was evidently one of the nicest guys you could meet but in his eighties,sadly passed away about a month ago and all of the bikes were bought / last worked on over 30 years by the sounds of it. I think the tank is toast as it is very flexible around the flat top part near the filler flap. It's pretty full of rank smelling stale fuel. The front disks and footrest rubbers look pristine ... again indicating the mileage. My concern is how will the coolant have reacted in being left that long? As it has no kickstart, thanks for the advice on seeing if the engine will turn. I have lots of keys for different bikes / parts but none seem to fit...so how can I get the seat open?

I got the Sales Invoice in 1982 from Firstline motorcycles in London, V5 registration document, Service booklet ???? , Owners Handbook. Honda Workshop manual with it.
    Last edited by ashimotoK0; 12-05-2016 at 12:31 PM.

Here is all I had to go on went I went to get it (I went initially for two 1969 CB250SS , as they are a favourite of mine).

Name:  CX 500  or not.jpg
Views: 147
Size:  1.71 MB

Name:  CX 500  or not -2.jpg
Views: 152
Size:  1.90 MB

Wow! Anyway, I think the seat is simply a bolt on affair, not keyed. Speaking of, do you have the ignition key? If not, they can be made from the code on the side of the ignition barrel. Check the WIKI for sources, or ask here. I don't think the gas cap is keyed on this one, but could be wrong. Typically, if keyed, they are the same for the ignition.
    May the myriad of wheels in your head, keep the two wheels between your legs rubber side down.

Age 62
    No more stable, no more ride for me.

Gloria's Story including PartII> I miss her dearly, but she is in good hands. Part III included at the end of the link.

Forum Settings that everyone should make

Photo and Video posting Tips

The WIKI link for all the good tech stuff. including free FSM's
    with addendums

Larry's most excellent CX/GL Carb book link

Back in E. Yorks this morning... The photos flatter it a lot I think but the frame isn't rotten and the wheels look OK

Name:  CX back in Yorks.JPG
Size:  1.70 MBName:  CX in Yorks  2.JPG
Size:  2.49 MB
    Last edited by ashimotoK0; 12-05-2016 at 01:02 PM.

Here is the '76 CB250G5 less than 2k miles ! Its 'shed buddy'

Attachment 65434

I think you have a B (?), the model after mine. The seat is held on not by a lock but by two spring catches, one under each side of the seat about halfway back. Look under the seat and you should see them. Maybe the lock you think is for the seat is actually the helmet lock - under the seat, left hand side? And yes, the tank should be locked with the same key as the ignition. Ramprat wisely advises downloading the (free) Factory Service Manual; it's invaluable and much preferred to Mr Haynes' offering. God knows what the innards are like - I'm way behind many of the guys on here in terms of experience and expertise but I'd guess you might want to prepare yourself for a rebuild and renew the mechanical seal and all O rings and other seals. Having said that, you have the makings of an almost virgin CX500. (Yes I know you can't be almost a virgin, although I was pretty close to that for much of my youth.)
    1980 CX500A (UK)
    Start each day with a smile, and get it over with.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links