Carb band clamps - anyone found a reasonably priced alternative?
Close

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Carb band clamps - anyone found a reasonably priced alternative?

Like the title says: I think the price for the original band clamps for the carbs is a bit much (over $21 US + shipping at Partzilla). They are just hose clamps after all; I can get worm type hose clamps of suitable diameter for about $1.70 locally except they are almost twice as wide. I haven't been able to find any that are narrow enough. Anyone else had better luck?
    Summer - Mr. Honda ('83 GL1000/Dnepr)
    Winter - The Famous Eccles ('84 CX650EI/Veloural)

Click here for Eccles: The Never Ending Build (retroactive to 2006)
    Click here to visit my blog at CURD

CLICK HERE FOR CX WIKI

From mem,ory the factory band clamps are 9 mm wide. I can find 10 mm at the local auto parts store but that's as close as I got.
    Rebuilding Handlebar Switches

http://s1085.photobucket.com/user/CXPHREAK/library/Switchgear%20rebuild?sort=6&page=1

Rider 81 500C, Thingy Born a 78Z. Ozdeluxe born an 80 shadow.

GET A MULTIMETER RTFM I am a CX500. If you maintain me I will run forever.

http://cx500forum.com/mediawiki/inde...itle=Main_Page

here's a selection of 9mm bands for sale , in a variety of sizes

narrow hose clamps | eBay
    In New Zealand

1979 CX500 cafe

1983 CX650ED

1983 CX650 uber modernish cafe project bike

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

I changed your search to Price + Shipping - lowest first and the cheapest one happens to be a suitable size but it is $6.99 US + $10 shipping, which is more than the originals. There must be somewhere that we can get them for about $2 or so each.

CLICK HERE FOR CX WIKI

Quote Originally Posted by Sidecar Bob View Post
    locally except they are almost twice as wide.
    Locally means what ?
    You tried to get these clamps on the harbor with the boat repair firms, local car part dealers, plumbing business, supermarket with garden acessories, heating and ventilation fitter, filling stations, garages ...etc.

Kawartha Lakes has 74.000 inhabitants.
    The town in which I live has 21.000.
    I think I should have to go for 200 meters from one shop to the other to get these clamps.

PS: Sometimes firms have these endless clamps. (Endlosschlauchklemmen) They fit to any diameter.
    Last edited by guelli02; 10-25-2016 at 10:03 AM.

The so-called "City of Kawartha Lakes" is an artificial construct of our provincial government; They basically turned the entirety Victoria County into one municipality with the goal of eliminating a level of government. Many of us feel that it has not been a successful experiment but at this point it would cost too much to put things back the way they were before so we are stuck with it.

Yes, there are about 74,000 of us but we are spread over more than 3,000 sq.Km with an average of about 24 people per sq.Km. In most of the COKL you can go 200M without seeing another person, let alone another store that might have band clamps. I live in a town of about 650. Our only hardware store closed a few months ago. There are auto parts stores and hardware stores in other nearby towns but they only carry the "standard" 1/2" wide ones used in plumbing and most automotive applications. All of the filling stations (we call them "gas stations" here) are just places where you can fill the tank (no mechanic) and almost all of them are self serve.

The nearest "big" town is Lindsay (just under 21,000 people), which is about 30 Km (30 minutes) from here. It was an important rail hub 60 years ago but now all of those railroads are gone and it is largely a place where people move when they retire with a few tourist attractions. What can I say about a town that big with a public transit system that consists of 3 buses on 3 routes + one for the handicapped? (BTW: There is no other public transit in COKL) They have a Canadian Tire (which gives an increasing proportion of its space to housewares every year), a TSC (Tractor Supply Company), a couple of hardware stores, a couple of auto parts stores, several car dealers (that charge too much for parts) and 2 motorcycle dealers (prices for standard parts are usually about 4-5 times as high as they are at Canadian Tire). A boat repair would be pointless because almost everything here is North American and uses the 1/2" wide clamps.

So finding something unusual locally is pretty much out of the question. There must be somewhere that suitable clamps can be found online for a reasonable price.

That endless clamps set looks like it could work except that the band has slots for the worm along the entire length which will cut into the rubber and I am not sure whether it is stainless (preferred). I have put it in my Watch List, though, in case there isn't anything better.

I would really like to find some T-bolt type clamps that will fit....

CLICK HERE FOR CX WIKI

Hi Bob , how many do you need? I Can go by bent bike for you ,and mail them to you if you like. Of course they probably will be used ,but will pick some in good condition for you. Hoping my clutch kit comes in soon ,so will be going there soon i hope. Will call to find out how much Jim wants for them first. Cheers, hows your weather? Gerard
    current bikes,
    1983 CX650e
    1981 Gl500i
    Shiny up Rubber Down

It is about 5c here today but at least it isn't raining (or worse Name:  xmas24.gif
Views: 64
Size:  1.5 KB).

Thanks, but I think I would like to try to find something better than the originals and I'm not in a hurry for them. I had intended to put the carbs in last night before I put the engine in today. Then I noticed that the throttle cable was frayed so I had to search for one online, and then the place had free shipping on orders over $49 CAD (anyone heard of FortNine?) so I ended up ordering a new rear tire for Eccles while I was at it. I am going to put the engine in today and put the carbs back in after the cable arrives.

Anyway, when I looked at the carb clamps I initially thought about plating them with zinc but then I decided that I had cleaned rust & dirt out of those crappy formed sheet pockets too many times over the years and I should put the time into finding something better instead. I don't expect to have something new soon enough so I brushed the rust off of the old ones and I'll get one more winter out of them but I want better ones for when I do the planned resto next year.

I haven't used the cheap & nasty original clamps on the rad hoses for a long time; Its about time I replaced these ones too.

CLICK HERE FOR CX WIKI

In New Zealand

1979 CX500 cafe

1983 CX650ED

1983 CX650 uber modernish cafe project bike

That was the clue I needed. They have a minimum order of 10 pcs @ $3.45 so without even looking at the shipping to Canada I knew it would be too much. But they are exactly what I need so I searched for Norma torro hose clamps in all the usual places. and the best I could find is this lot of 10 of the correct clamp on eBay. The price is great and I wouldn't mind replacing the ones on the GoldWing too (I measured - all the clamps on both bikes are about 55-57mm) but the total with shipping would be about $35 CAD. And sometimes stuff from the US gets held up at the border for weeks.

So I googled Norma Torro hose clamps Ontario and found this place. $1.89 CAD each But they have a minimum order of $20 and 8 of the clamps only came to $15.12 so I had to spend a bunch of time browsing for something about $5 that I would be buying anyway before I could place my order It is still going to be about $35 CAD but it ships from within Ontario so with any luck they will be here about the same time as the throttle cable arrives.

Wolfgang: How about that - you were right about looking at marine places They aren't exactly "local", though, but at least they will be here soon.

CLICK HERE FOR CX WIKI

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links