CX500c rear fender
Close

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By ramprat06

Thread: CX500c rear fender

CX500c rear fender

Does anyone know of a different fender that will fit the rear end of the CX500c? I am looking to trim the seat back to a solo or install a new seat altogether and I would like a fender that is preferably 1 piece that sits a bit closer to the rear wheel. Having a hard time finding anything like this referenced to the CX500 so I'm hoping that there is a fender for another bike that will do the trick (even if a special bracket to mount needs to be made).
    Wasaga Beach, ON, Canada

1981 Honda CX500 Custom
    Named: TBD

I'm not much help for the question, BUT, if you recall, the fender would be mounted to the frame, thus you need a decent amount of clearance to the tire since the wheel moves up and down with the swing arm. The solution to this is somehow attaching the fender to a frame piece of the swing arm so the wheel and fender move in sync.
    cx500slacker likes this.
    May the myriad of wheels in your head, keep the two wheels between your legs rubber side down.

Age 61
    No more stable, no more ride for me.

G-Loria's Story I miss her dearly, but she is in good hands.

Forum Settings that everyone should make

Photo and Video posting Tips

The WIKI link for all the good tech stuff. including free FSM's
    with addendums

Larry's most excellent CX/GL Carb book link

That is a good point and I did think of that, just with not real solution to that issue yet. Just hoping there is a fender that will fit in there and I can play with that fender to try and sort the mounting issue.
    Wasaga Beach, ON, Canada

1981 Honda CX500 Custom

4. Remove Advertisements
    CX500Forum.com
    Advertisements

cxphreak has modded a CM250 rear fender on his 'thingy' to suit, but it's just to give a neater guard treatment it doesn't sit closer to the wheel per se.

As rampart has noted, placing a guard which is fixed to the frame in a position which is closer to the wheel WILL result in clearance issues, unless you have particularly short, particularly stiffly sprung rear shocks. Even then....

Someone on here has made up a rear guard similar to those seen on a Ducati Diavel - mounts to the swingarm and 'hugs' the wheel. I can't find the relevant thread at the moment though.
    You need to be careful mounting to the swingarm to get the mounting points and bracketry right so it doesn't vibrate too much, and keep the guard/taillight/number plate assembly (if all that is mounted there)as light as possible so it doesn't cause any damage to the final drive in the long term.

Diavel:

Name:  Ducati-Diavel-Titanium-rear-wheel-at-EICMA-2014.jpg
Views: 123
Size:  300.8 KB
    -------------------------------------

A CX500 embodies purity of spirit, it stands alone at the apex of motorcycling, it is an icon of industry, and ... I think I may have had too much rum.

Honda CX500 Custom (project bike), Suzuki GSX1400 (daily rider), Land Rover Defender 130

I havent decided where I am going to mount the plate/taillight but Im thinking that I will potentially mount the taillight under the seat or at the rear edge of the frame and the plate possibly off the shock mount but that is still up in the air. Actually really depends on what I end up doing with the rear fender.

I went out and took a look at the layout and clearances and I don't know that I am going to try and fab up a mount to the swing arm unless I can mount it to the inside bolt for the lower shock mount. First thing Im going to do is take the bike off the centre stand and sit on it and see how low the stock fender mounting point drops. I could use the stock mounting points but the half plastic and half boat anchor fenders are not visually appealing to me. That's why I'm looking for a 1 piece fender, and its not going to be a fender that covers the entire wheel as I am thinking of ending it at TDC of the rear wheel.
    Wasaga Beach, ON, Canada

1981 Honda CX500 Custom

Found the thread: relevant part starts here:
    Canadian CX500 Cafe Racer Conversion

A CX500 embodies purity of spirit, it stands alone at the apex of motorcycling, it is an icon of industry, and ... I think I may have had too much rum.

Honda CX500 Custom (project bike), Suzuki GSX1400 (daily rider), Land Rover Defender 130

Sponsored Links